* FAQ    * Search    * Archives   

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 pm | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: kitten with sore swollen anus
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:58 pm 
Open Class
Open Class

Points on hand: 0.00 Persian Points

hi,
I have a 7 week old kitten who has been having problems passing stools since I intro solids & they were getting stuck half- way. This has since improved after I fed biscuits soaked in lots of water & mixed the chick/rice kitten food with pumkin. I don't think that the kittens have quite learned how to clean themselves down there as there is often residue left around the butt. I have only cleaned with baby wipes but have noticed that the anus is red & swollen compared to the others.

can anyone pls urgently recommend some treatment we may have at home we have dry iodine spray? i really don't want it to get affected.

Thank u :!:

Post subject: Re: kitten with sore swollen anus
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:57 am 
Champion
Champion

Points on hand: 1,210.00 Persian Points

Shidala wrote:
hi,
I have a 7 week old kitten who has been having problems passing stools since I intro solids & they were getting stuck half- way. This has since improved after I fed biscuits soaked in lots of water & mixed the chick/rice kitten food with pumkin. I don't think that the kittens have quite learned how to clean themselves down there as there is often residue left around the butt. I have only cleaned with baby wipes but have noticed that the anus is red & swollen compared to the others.

can anyone pls urgently recommend some treatment we may have at home we have dry iodine spray? i really don't want it to get affected.

Thank u :!:

Go and get some ointment used for diaper rash in human babies and put that on the affected area. That will help with the rash, but you must keep the bottom clean. I use a warm wash cloth to clean bottoms. If his anus prolapses from pushing too hard, you can put hemoroidal cream on it to reduce the swelling.

http://www.rareearthpersians.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:27 am 
Open Class
Open Class

hi tracy thanks for ur useful advice, just so u know we took lil man to the emergency vet midnight after i posted my msg as was panicking -thank god wasn't a prolapse! whilst she gave us liquid parafin to help with his digestive system she said not to trouble his butt which i desparaetly want to help with! have u tried the recommended cream urself as i am always dubious about using our meds!? (kitten only 7 weeks)

despite my efforts to only feed my kittens top quality kitten food & the other two going toilet fine, our boy is still straining/crying & taking hours to pass his stools albeit unassisted. Is there anything more we can do?
:cat:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:25 am 
Champion
Champion

Points on hand: 1,210.00 Persian Points

You're going to go broke if you keep going to the emergency vet for this sort of thing- :lol:

Some babies just don't take to weaning as well as others. I would feed this one soft food mixed with a bit of pumpkin. Moisten your dry food with warm water when feeding the babies. I have used this cream before. It is gentle and safe for kitten's bottoms. I've had kittens get so constipated that an enema was needed to pass the stools. It's usually due to illness though.

http://www.rareearthpersians.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 pm 
Best in Color
Best in Color

The baby wipes most likely irritated the kitten's already red & swollen behind. Keep the kitten's bottom clean and then apply diaper rash ointment... it is absolutely safe for kittens.

http://www.whispurrpaws.info/

Image Image
❤️❤️CHOCOLATE IS OUR PASSION!!❤️❤️

Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  

Post subject: Re: kitten with sore swollen anus/bowel problems
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:19 pm 
Open Class
Open Class

hi ladies, well the last 5 days have involved 2 trips to the vet & lots of stress & :cry: anguish- these kittens will be the end of me :roll: ok the lastest is that baby boys can now pass his small nicely formed stools fine & is back to his normal playful self eating & drinking (we just have to assist with his cleaning/cream & liquid parafin prescribed by vet)

It did actually reach a pint where I thought we'd lose him as he's deteriorated so bad- the vet says that he isn't constipated but could have an bowel abnormality just before his back passage such as a hernia? When we got there his anus had been dilated for 24 hrs trying to pass the stool bits at a time & they were really wide-huge! She advised to see how he goes & that he would be too young for any type of surgery.

As he has made such good progress, I am praying he just didn't adjust to the weaning process too well (although Tracy from expererience I had been doing exactly what you recommened). Have you heard of anything like this before-system may not be fully developed (has always been the littliest) :?

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 pm | All times are UTC [ DST ]